Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Archewallogy from New York - guest post from Diane Chehab.






From "Our (wo)man in New York" - Diane Chehab:
Recently I was visiting PS 1, an offshoot of MoMA in Long Island City, with a Japanese friend to see Bibi Seck’s furniture in the cafeteria.

On our way out, I realized that we were close to a building I always notice from the No. 7 train, on my way to Flushing Meadows Park in Queens. I had never seen it up close; it was no disappointment. I immediately thought of the “Lord of Graffiti”—Tarek Chemaly, of Beirut NTSC. He kindly offered that I post some photos on his blog, as a guest blogger.
A recent article in the NY Times stated that the building, named 5Pointz Art Center, may be demolished in the near future to make way for a new building; in this case, it will be the end of the revolving graffiti art exhibit. Especially in New York City, nothing lasts forever; it is an ever-evolving city, and these past years, ever more empty or derelict areas are being filled with new apartment buildings.
In the meantime, however, the building is still one giant exterior two-dimensional art space, where you can watch the artists either modify their work, or create a new “masterpiece.”

No comments: